Tuesday, March 8, 2011

AWA costume reveal!



I've found my Anime Weekend Atlanta costume! Although I did not enjoy the convention last year (not because of the con itself), I may return this year depending on funds and such. Not 100% sure of course! I think I have enough time to make this costume if I did choose to go to the convention - depending on, of course finances. I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy in the meantime before starting this monster.

I have always wanted to do something a little more detailed. After having been working on Litchi (Blazblue) for going on two months, I really do not know if it is ideal for me to work on very detailed and strangely constructed things. It is time that I learn to buckle down and get things done - but in actuality I just want to get things done quickly so I can wear it! If costumes could arrive ready made at my door then I would certainly put them on and wear them to conventions.

A lot of people enjoy the journey of making their costumes from start to finish. They love perusing the fabric stores, picking what fabric will work perfectly with their costume. They enjoy sitting at the sewing machine and grinding for hours. They love packing their costumes carefully in their luggage as they head off to the con.

Personally, I only love that some of the time. I have had the most fun in costumes that took little to make or that I just brought to modify (I never tend to buy a costume and never do any modifications to it...) To my pessimistic brain I think working very hard on something can oftentimes lead to little pay off from the convention crowds. Either no one pays you attention or you get a lot of attention. There is the grey area of finding those few sole people that absolutely love your costumes. I have had that happen to me once or twice.

Some enjoy making their own costumes to have a feeling of accomplishment. Attention and Pictures are some of the payoffs. A lot of the times it is also good networking that allows for those pictures. The attention, however, is all based on whether the convention crowd gives a flying hoot about your costume.

Even still, we should love our costumes no matter what. It is something I am slowly learning. Challenging myself as I have started to do has allowed me to learn new techniques and I can only continue to do so, improving with each new challenge I take on. The sky is the limit!






No comments:

Post a Comment